PFZW to trial self-employed pension for cultural sector

Dutch pension fund for healthcare, Pensioenfonds Zorg en Welzijn
(PFZW), is to trial a pension fund for the self-employed working in the cultural sector.

In a blog post, PFZW director, Peter Borgdoff, announced that self-employed people are welcome. He noted that Dutch law does not allow self-employed people to participate in an industry-wide pension fund, which includes PFZW.

However, Borgdoff said that the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment believes it is important for self-employed to save for a pension, therefore it is “going to give room to experiment”.

The pension will be available for those working for museums, theatres, concert halls, dance companies, stage technicians and orchestras, as well as others in the cultural sector. The trial is expected to begin in 2021.

He said PFZW was asked by those working in the sector to develop a pilot for the self-employed. The scheme will see contributions of 3 per cent from the member and 3 per cent from the client, with a total amount of 6 per cent of the member’s income going into the pot.

“If the test is a success and enough freelancers want to participate, then I would like to see the scheme extended to other sectors. Because there are more and more self-employed people also working in the health sector, and they too are entitled to a decent pension,” Borgdoff said.

    Share Story:

Recent Stories


Podcast: The benefits of private equity in pension fund portfolios
The outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic, in which stock markets have seen increased volatility, combined with global low interest rates has led to alternative asset classes rising in popularity. Private equity is one of the top runners in this category, and for good reason.

In this podcast, Munich Private Equity Partners Managing Director, Christopher Bär, chats to European Pensions Editor, Natalie Tuck, about the benefits private equity investments can bring to pension fund portfolios and the best approach to take.

Podcast - The power of three: Using Common Contractual Funds to improve tax outcomes for investors
Large asset owners are still investing in equities in a way where they are taxed on their income. The implication is that they get a poorer return. They need to, and can, improve this, but how?

In this podcast, AMX Head of Client and Manager Development, Aaron Overy, and AMX Product Tax Specialist, Kevin Duggan, discuss with European Pensions Editor, Natalie Tuck, about three options to help ensure good withholding tax outcomes for institutional investors.
Mitigating risk
BNP Paribas Asset Management’s head of pension solutions, Julien Halfon, discusses equity hedging with Laura Blows

Europe’s pensions challenges
Francesca Fabrizi meets Matti Leppälä, Secretary General and CEO of PensionsEurope, to discuss the key aims and objectives of the association today.